Thursday, May 17, 2007

Moving On Up

The best friend just graduated college. She graduated cum laude, got her BA in English with a minor in German. I'm so friggin proud of her. Even though she is 6 months older than me I'm still allowed to say I'm proud of her, but only because I've lived directly across the street from her since I was 5, I have rights damnit.

*sigh*

It seems like just yesterday we were all dancing to Mariah Carey and Madonna in my living room when we had no furniture and building forts. Oh, to be young again...

It's a special thing-to know someone from such a young age. To grow up with them and still have that connection. She's one of my soul mates. Which brings me to the thing about soul mates. I don't believe that each person has just one soul mate and I don't believe that that person necessarily has to be a lover. I believe there are people in your life that you were meant to meet and that those people will have an important affect on your life, whether they be a friend, a lover, or even an enemy.

While I was at her graduation I was talking with her dad about photography. He use to teach photography at a university and I was telling him that I wanted to learn about photography this summer and was thinking about taking a class. He somehow convinced me to take him on as my mentor, I like Mr. Loy, but by the time I am done talking with him it feels like my ear is going to fall off. The man can talk. Anyway, he has a dark room in his basement and he's going to teach me how to develop and he's already warned me about how critical he is, but I like criticism and I'm a perfectionist too, so I plan to learn a lot from him this summer. He gave me this old camera to work with and a few rolls of film and told me to start taking pictures and that if he saw me with a digital camera in my hand he'd lecture me about "the old days" when there were no digital cameras. So I'm going to try and avoid that as much as I possibly can.

I hope to get a scanner so I can post the pictures I develop over the summer. I love summer for this very reason, it gives me time to work on my own projects and set goals for myself. Let's see if I can stick with this.

5 comments:

Mega said...

Dancing to Mariah Carey eh? laff laff laff!

I cherish childhood memories. Lots of good ones with matchbox cars or bike riding or baseball playing or GI joes...etc etc.

Amanda said...

haha, hey, I was little ok, I hadnt developed my own musical taste yet, I was still listening to whatever my mom listened to and besides, daydream is a great album! :P

Maureen said...

Developing your own photos is so therapeutic. It's really interesting to put the photos through the different chemical processes to see the picture come out. It's also cool to fool around with the different f-stops of the camera for different effects in the actual photo. Photography is just such a great hobby, I would really love to get back into it myself, you're lucky!

Also don't forget dancing to Ace of Bass, ahhhhhh!

Amanda said...

LOL, Ace of freaking Base, you've heard Nicole's rendition of I Saw The Sign right, its called, I Saw Your Mom, haha, I'll spare everyone the lyrics

Anonymous said...

haha, i'd like to hear the i saw your mom song. Ace of Base is great, i still have their greatest hits cd in my car i think. :) And yes, daydream was a great album ;)

~Vanessa