Friday, June 22, 2007

100th Post!

I've decided to celebrate my 100th post by adding something new to my blog. I came across this book, The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Baltasar Gracian. It's a pocket oracle and basically there is a philosophical statement of a sorts for each day of the year. You are supposed to read one each day and think/ponder about it. I've decided to share this with you guys just in case you want to think/ponder about things with me. :)

I'm not sure if I can keep up with the every day thing, I mean, it is me we're talking about here :) But I will try my best. Perhaps I will just select one from the book that may pertain to a particular entry or way that I'm feeling at the time. We'll see :)

But, to start it off, here's the very first one in the book:

All has reached perfection, and becoming a true person is the greatest perfection of all. It takes more to make one *sage today than it did to make the seven of Greece. And you need more resources to deal with a single person these days than with an entire nation in times past.

*sage
1. a profoundly wise person; a person famed for wisdom.
2. someone venerated for the possession of wisdom, judgment, and experience.
–adjective
3. wise, judicious, or prudent: sage advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree with that...being a good person and staying true to yourself is extremely important to say the least. also, i would also think staying true to yourself and marching to the beat of your own drum, etc, is more difficult today for sure. there are just too many tempting impurities constantly threatening to ripple the river, so to speak. it's relatively easy for me for some reason, but for others it proves difficult. i wouldn't necessarily call myself a sage though ;) ~Vanessa